Obtaining The Form I-20
To become an F-1 international student in the U.S., you must first obtain a Form I-20. Once you've been fully admitted to Cooper, paid your deposit, and submitted the Citizenship Verification Form, you will be contacted by the Office of International Student Advisement regarding the next steps for obtaining your I-20. Please note that we do not collect documents for the I-20 until you've been fully admitted.
A Form I-20 is a U.S. government form that is issued by Cooper Union for the purpose of certifying that are eligible for the F-1 student status. The I-20, also known as the Certificate of Eligibility (COE), certifies that
- You've been fully admitted to Cooper Union and we expect that you will be attending as a full-time student towards a specific educational objective
- You have sufficient funding to study and live in the U.S. for the duration of your educational program
Obtaining the I-20
To obtain your Form I-20, we will require the following documentation. Please note that we are looking for available funding for at least the first year of study (tuition and living expenses). Additionally, we look for financial capability to cover future years of study. We estimate our living expenses to be $20,165 per year for I-20 purposes. You can review tuition here.
- I-20 Application
- Copy of Acceptance Letter
- Copy of Passport (biographical page only)
- Proof of funding (explained on the I-20 Application Form)
If you are already an F-1 student and will be transferring your I-20 to Cooper, you'll also need to
- Submit the Transfer Form (to be completed by you and the DSO at your previous institution)
- Have your SEVIS record electronically transferred to Cooper
- I-20 Application
- Affidavit of Support (Cash Support)
- Affidavit of Support (Free Room & Board)
- Transfer Form
Submitting Your Documents
All documents can be submitted to the Office of International Student Advisement. Feel free to email or mail your documents. We recommend submitting them all together once everything is ready, instead of submitting it in parts.
Address: 30 Cooper Square, 3rd Floor New York, NY 10003
Once your documents are submitted, you will receive an email confirmation within 48 hours of receipt. If all documents are sufficient, your I-20 will be issued within 1 week - 2 weeks. We recommend submitting your documents no later than early-mid June.