Collage and The City
REGISTER ONLINE (Registration opens May 3, 2022)
Thursdays, July 21–August 11, 2022
6:30 PM–9:30 PM
LOCATION: 41 Cooper Square, NY, NY 10003
IMPORTANT: to participate in classes on campus
- Please be prepared to arrive up to 30 minutes early on the first class to present proof of vaccination, booster and a state issued picture ID in the lobby of 41 Cooper Square.
- You must wear a mask at all times inside the school.
- A school ID will be issued so you can enter all subsequent weeks by showing it to the guards. A photo will be taken on the first evening of your class for the ID card.
- Unvaccinated individuals will not be allowed access to campus buildings.
- If you are not able to arrive up to 30 minutes before class on the first session or within 1 hour of the start of the first class session, please request to withdraw from class by email. Policies apply.
The City itself could be thought of as a massive collage: a space where images and structures conjoin in unexpected ways. Historically, much of the work done with collage has been informed by the urban setting. Using this idea as a foundation, we will explore the medium of collage with paper, fabric, fibers, found objects, photographs and photo transfer. A wide range of acrylic mediums and their potential as adhesives will be explored. The use of traditional drawing and painting materials will also be incorporated. color and fundamental 2-D design principles will be covered. Each studio lesson will be accompanied by a presentation of a historically relevant collage artist. Students will be encouraged to actively engage with the urban environment in the development of their work.
- 8 oz. jar regular gel medium - matte (Golden brand recommended)
- 8 oz. jar regular gel medium - gloss (Golden brand recommended)
- 8 oz. jar Matte medium (Golden brand recommended)
- 4 oz. bottle Elmer's Glue
- 1" wide roll masking tape
- X-acto knife with replacement blades
- "self-healing" cutting board, 12" X 18"
- 1 pads 14" X 17" Bristol paper (either Vellum or Smooth surface)
- 14" X 17" inch white drawing paper pad
- 1" house painting brush, or a 1" flat artist's brush
- Basic drawing materials such as graphite pencils and erasers
- Basic acrylic painting set, primary and secondary colors, black and white in 2 oz. tubes (Golden brand recommended)
Course Code: 156743
Instructor(s): Eric Hibit