REGISTER ONLINE (Registration opens on May 3, 2022)
10 In-Person Sessions* (see important information about campus access below)
Tuesdays, June 7–August 9, 2022
6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
LOCATION: Cooper Union Campus
Drawing is like writing for the visual arts. Drawing from observation though challenging, is a rewarding experience through which we learn to memorize and build a visual vocabulary. This course will focus on drawing from observation, building on your current skill level. Through a series of guided exercises and prompts you will learn to approach drawing in a way that is productive and inventive. Using your surroundings to find new lines, forms and textures, this class will help you to understand how to create the illusion of space and the use of pictorial composition. Working with pencil, charcoal, and ink, you will unlock the rich potential of these materials.
- 18 x 24 Newsprint pad
- 18 x 24 drawing paper pad
- 500 sheet ream of printing paper
- Vine charcoal Compressed charcoal
- 2 Pencils 4B
- India ink
- Hi-polymer eraser kneaded Eraser
- Q-tips Cotton and chopsticks
- Plastic cups
A basket has been prepared for purchasing supplies from Dick Blick.
For the first session of class, you'll be using drawing paper, newsprint, a 4B or 6B pencil, eraser and pencil sharpening tool. Bringing both pads can get heavy, so we recommend that you carefully tear out 10 pages of each from the pads and carry them in a 4" or 5" tube with a lid.
*IMPORTANT: to participate in classes on campus
- Please be prepared to arrive up to 30 minutes early on the first class to present proof of Covid 19 vaccination, booster and a state issued picture ID in the lobby of 41 Cooper Square.
- You must wear a mask at all times inside the school.
- A school ID will be issued so you can enter all subsequent weeks by showing it to the guards. A photo will be taken on the first evening of your class for the ID card.
- Unvaccinated individuals will not be allowed access to campus buildings.
- If you are not able to arrive up to 30 minutes before class on the first session or within 1 hour of the start of the first class session, please request to withdraw from class by email. Policies apply.
Course Code: DrawDiaz
Instructor(s): Pablo Diaz