Engineering Advisory Council
In 2020, the Albert Nerken School of Engineering assembled an advisory council of experts from industry, academia, and government for the School of Engineering as a whole and the four ABET accredited engineering majors: Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. The purpose of the Engineering Advisory Council (EAC) is to provide direct input to the School of Engineering and individual departments regarding current and future needs for our graduates. The EAC will:
- Provide insights and recommendations that can assist in the development, execution and attainment of the strategic direction of the Albert Nerken School of Engineering.
- Provide insights and recommendations that can assist each of the academic departments within the School of Engineering.
- Periodically evaluate individual ABET accredited degree-granting department’s program educational objectives for meeting graduate’s needs within a few years of graduation.
- Provide feedback on specific aspects of modern engineering programs, leading-edge educational pedagogy and their current outcomes.
ENGINEERING ADVISORY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Steven Welby ChE ’87 – Chair of EAC. Executive Director and COO, IEEE. Former Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering - Chief Technology Officer of the US Department of Defense. Previously, DARPA.
- Leah Jamieson – John A. Edwardson Dean Emerita of Engineering and Ransburg Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University. Member National Academy of Engineering.
- Bernie Meyerson – Vice President for Innovation and leads IBM’s Global University Relations Function. In that role he leads the creation of major IBM collaborative initiatives with companies and governments around the globe. He is also responsible for the IBM Academy. Member National Academy of Engineering.
CHEMICAL ENGINEERING ADVISORS
- Lynn Cusack ChE ’04 - New Business Ventures Manager, Infineum USA L.P., Linden Business and Technology Center, NJ.
- Heather Kulik ChE ’04 – Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Lisa Liu ChE ’13 – Solutions Engineer, Carbon Lighthouse.
- Margot Vigeant – Professor of Chemical Engineering, Bucknell University. Fellow of the American Society for Engineering Education.
CIVIL ENGINEERING ADVISORS
- Gregory L. Biesiadecki CE ’81, MCE ’83 – Principle, Langan Engineering & Environmental Services; As a geotechnical engineer he leads the waterfront and marine engineering team. Former Chair of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Metropolitan Section Geotechnical and Forensics Groups and former member of the Board of Directors and Treasurer.
- Jessica Friscia CE ’11 – Project Environmental Engineer, Langan Engineering & Environmental Services. ME MIT. Named a Beverly Willis Architecture Foundation Emerging Leader and received the CREW NY Impact Award for Economic and Community Improvement.
- Nicholas Tsapatsaris – President & CEO, Nick Tsapatsaris & Associates. BSCE 1986 and MSSE 1987 Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI). MS in Real Estate, MIT. Large scale architecture, engineering, construction and ownership of real estate. Member of WPI’s Architectural Engineering Advisory Board and the Engineering Dean’s Council.
- Anne Dudek Ronan CE ’83, MCE ’84 – Ph.D. Stanford University, Industry Professor at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. 2015 recipient of the NYU School of Engineering Distinguished Teacher Award which is the university's highest teaching honor.
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING ADVISORS
- Sankar Basu – Program Director at the National Science Foundation. Prior to NSF at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center. After receiving a PhD from the University of Pittsburgh he served on the faculty of Stevens Institute of Technology. Served on editorial boards of about 10 journals including being the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, and currently serves on the editorial board of Proceedings of the IEEE. Fellow of IEEE and AAAS.
- Bryan Conroy EE, MEE ’05 – Senior Research Scientist, Philips Hospital & Health Care. Ph.D. EE Princeton University, 2010.
- Kamran Mahbobi EE ’89, MEE ’91 – Cofounder and Managing Director of MaXentric Technologies, LLC. Previously, Chief Technology Officer of Tetra Tech Wireless. 2009 Cooper Union President’s Citation Award.
- Nadia Pervez EE ’99 – COO Chromation. Former CEO. PhD in Electrical Engineering, UCSB. Postdoc at Columbia University, 2008-2010.
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING ADVISORS
- David Barrett – Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Olin College. Previously Vice President of Engineering at the iRobot Corporation, Director of the Walt Disney Imagineering Corporation, Research Engineer at MIT's Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, and Technical Director at Draper Laboratory.
- Neil Muir ME ’14, MME ’16 – Arup (Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, architects, consultants and technical specialists, working across every aspect of today’s built-environment).
- Gunnar Tamm ME ’96 – Professor of Mechanical Engineering, U.S. Military Academy, West Point, NY. MS Rutgers University, Ph.D. University of Florida.
- Paige Holland Thielen ME ’11 – Ground Software Engineer, SpaceX. MSME University of Washington.