Senior Speech Contest
We are happy to announce the guidelines and details of the 2020 Commencement Senior Speech Contest. The Senior Speech Contest is open to all undergraduate students who will be graduating during the 2020 Commencement ceremony. If you would like to participate in the Senior Speech Contest, you must adhere to the following guidelines:
- The deadline for submitting draft speeches is 5pm, Tuesday, March 31, 2020. Speeches must be emailed to David Robbins at email@example.com. There are no exceptions. Speeches not submitted by the deadline will not be considered.
- Speeches must be between 800 and 1,000 words in length.
- Speeches must be relevant and appropriate for Commencement.
- Contestants must be a candidate for an undergraduate degree in May of the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Finalists must present their speeches, before a panel of judges, in The Great Hall, on Tuesday, April 7, 2020, from 12pm to 2pm.
- The contest winner must present their speech at the 2020 Commencement ceremony.
- The speech delivered at Commencement must be the same speech that was delivered during the Senior Speech Contest, both in content and presentation. The contest winner will have an opportunity work with the Center for Writing to refine and edit their speech, but in the spirit of fairness and respect for other contestants, the final speech must not substantially deviate from the speech delivered before the jury of judges.
If you have any questions about the Senior Speech Contest, please contact David Robbins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-353-4117. Thank you for your interest in this important commencement tradition. Best of luck to all contestants!